Fixed Ladders are vertical ladders commonly used for permanent roof access. Design requirements are generally dictated by OSHA 1910.27, which outlines design and load requirements.
- A safety cage is required for ladders with a step off point of 20 feet or more.
- A fixed ladder must have an intermediate landing (rest platform) every 30 feet.
- A fall arrest system may be used in lieu of safety cage and rest platform.
- Rungs must have 7" of clearance to accomodate toe space while climbing the ladder.
- The top of the ladder must include either a walk through that projects above the step off, or a side exit.